- This event has passed.
May 20, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 3:45 pm
The Central Jersey Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, is pleased to invite you to our 4th Annual EMBODI (Empowering Males to Build Opportunities for Developing Independence) Conference: "Shaping & Strengthening Our Sons for Success". The free community event takes place Saturday, May 20, 2017, 9:00am-3:45pm at Cedarbrook K-8 Center, 1049 Central Avenue, Plainfield, NJ 07060 (enter via cafetorium on Central Avenue). Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided.
EMBODI is a national program designed to redistribute the efforts of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., with the support and action of major organizations, on the plight of African-American males. Data suggests that the majority of African-American males are in crisis and not reaching their fullest potential educationally, socially, and emotionally.
The EMBODI Conference for adolescent males ages 13-18 is designed to expose young men to educational programming that addresses: financial literacy, college preparedness, health and wellness, personal development, entrepreneurship, and character development. Students attending the conference will have the opportunity to dialogue and connect with male professionals representing various backgrounds and careers.
The goals and objectives of the EMBODI Conference include:
- Provide opportunities for interaction with community professionals and positive male role models
- Increase awareness, coping and social skills in young men
- Increase knowledge, self-awareness and decision-making skills
- Understand the importance of first impressions (appropriate vs. inappropriate attire)
- Encourage character and personal development
- Motivate young men to commit to specific behavioral and health goals to reduce their personal risk
Please plan to join us for an impactful day! Registration opens at 9:00am; continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. Parents/guardians are required to sign their child in/out of the conference.